XO XO

I wrote a longish piece for January Magazine yesterday on Nicholas Negroponte’s XO laptop.

This is vastly interesting stuff. After many, many years, the dream has been realized. Not only have XO computers begun to reach children in developing countries as intended, there is also a program in place where people in North America can donate to the give one/get one program. Until November 26th, if you donate $399, “one XO laptop will be sent to empower a child in a developing nation and one will be sent to the child in your life in recognition of your contribution.” $200 of your donation is tax-deductible.

We’re talking about a three pound laptop tough enough for jungle and rainforest use that can be powered by handcrank when electricity is not available. I WANT ONE NOW!

Comments

Clea Simon said…
this is so great - I've been reading about it elsewhere. If I had enough money, I'd buy 10, keep one, and donate the other nine. As it is, I may buy one at the $399 price, so at least I'm donating one. If you do it, let us know??
Clea, if I can make it happen, one of those puppies will be winging its way to me before the 26th! I actually live in an area that has a lot of power outages, so the handcrank would be terrific: I could keep on writing. (Well, as it is, I *do* keep writing when the power goes out, but in longhand.)

Popular Posts