It’s Ure Fault

All this week, Louise Ure will be guestblogging at Moments In Crime, the blog set up recently by St. Martin’s Minotaur. Ure follows Thomas Lakeman (Chillwater Cove) and Theresa Schwegel (Person of Interest) who started off what will be a long line of Minotaur authors holding forth on all manner of stuff close to their hearts.

Ure is doing this in advance of the publication of her new book, The Fault Tree on January 8th. Ure’s first novel, 2005’s Forcing Amaryllis, won the Shamus Award for Best First Novel and is really quite wonderful.

Today, in her first post at Moments in Crime, Ure writes about the transition from advertising to novelist and, to be honest, she doesn’t sound terribly sad at leaving the dancing raisins behind.
I’m an Arizonan who lives in San Francisco. A child of the desert who can’t stand the heat. A woman who built a career around thirty-second TV commercials and then sat down to write an eighty-thousand word novel.

She also talks about writing outside of the landscape, a topic close to my own heart. I’m looking forward to a whole week of insights into her books and writing.

I love Ure’s work, but there’s also a self-serving aspect to my mentioning this guest blogging stint: I’ll be over there myself all next week. Don’t worry: you won’t have to remember. I’ll remind you when the time comes so you can come on over and visit between stuffing turkey into your head and ripping open presents.

Moments in Crime is here.

Comments

Popular Posts