Vancouver Launch: Death Was the Other Woman

If you happen to be in the Vancouver area this evening, Thursday, the 24th of January, please join me for the official launch of Death Was the Other Woman. Here’s the 4-1-1:

What: Launch party for Death Was the Other Woman by Linda L. Richards as well as an exhibition of 1930s photographs by Karl Huber

When: Thursday, January 24 at 7:00pm.

Where: The Shop, 1866 Powell Street, Vancouver (near the foot of Commercial Drive)

Light refreshments will be served.


I’m getting tremendously excited about this event. It’s being held at The Shop, a gallery/rehearsal/performance space created in part by my son, the actor Michael Karl Richards. And the photos we’ll be hanging were taken by my father, Karl Huber, in the 1930s and 1940s.

My partner, David Middleton, has really taken on curating the show. I was prepared to just hang historic prints, but David -- who is himself a wonderful photographer, illustrator and designer -- pointed out that we didn’t have prints of most of the best stuff. So David has spent a lot of the last two weeks working with these incredible old negatives. Some of the images we’ll be showing at the launch -- including the one you can see in this posting -- have probably not been printed in 60 or more years.

So as delighted as I am to be launching a new book – and I am. I really am! – I also have tremendous pride and anticipation in the other aspects of the event. Connecting my son in a very real and direct way with the grandfather he lost when he was very young. And, in truth, reconnecting with the father I lost when I was too young (He died when I was 24). And I love the feeling of bringing some of these beautiful and semi-lost works of art out of the dark and exhibiting them in the very center of my family.

I’m looking forward to a special evening. If you’re in the area, please do stop by and say hello.

Comments

Popular Posts