Quote of the Week: Miriam Makeba

“I look at an ant and I see myself: a native South African, endowed by nature with a strength much greater than my size so I might cope with the weight of a racism that crushes my spirit.”

In February of this year, I reflected on the spirit and sound of this wonderful singer of World music. Though Makeba herself scoffed at the distinction.



“And why is our music called world music? I think people are being polite. What they want to say is that it's third world music. Like they use to call us under developed countries, now it has changed to developing countries, it's much more polite.”

CBC today brings the news that Makeba has died:
Miriam Makeba, the South African singer known to fans worldwide as "Mama Africa" who became an international symbol of the anti-apartheid struggle, died early Monday after performing a concert in southern Italy, a hospital said. She was 76.
Let’s remember her now.

Comments

Popular Posts