Here’s a funny little meme that’s been hopping around on Facebook. I already did it there but, since it seems like the kind of silly, personal stuff I often post in this space, I thought: What the heck? This time out, though, I’m going to tag a few people who either aren’t on Facebook or who aren’t very active in that part of the Ether.
Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 16 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 16 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it’s because I want to know more about you.
1. I’ve always wished I was either taller or shorter -- tall and elegant or tiny and cute. At 5’6” I’m absolutely “normal,” which has never sat just right with me.
2. I’m capable of eating impossible amounts of raw fish. I don’t know why this is true, but it is. Sit me at a sushi bar, and just settle in, ‘cause we won’t be leaving anytime soon.
3. I was born in Vancouver.
4. When I quit smoking mid-way through 2007, it took me a while to get my writing rhythm back. But at first it was very difficult for me to focus -- to get to my magic place -- without nicotine.
5. I won’t hear anyone say “fiction” and “novel” right next to each other in the same sentence. It’s a pet peeve. If you tell me you just read – or wrote – a “new fiction novel” I will stop listening and possibly even stop talking to you.
6. I have seen Rocky Horror Picture Show a number of times. Though not recently.
7. Vanilla Sky is one of my favorite movies of all time. The Philadelphia Story is another favorite. And All That Jazz, though I haven’t seen the latter in a number of years because I’m afraid it won’t have aged well.
8. I like to walk. A lot. If I don’t get my 2 k a day moss begins to grow between my ears, or so I fear.
9. Until I was about 10, in the wintertime, I wondered why everyone kept talking about the “windshield factor.”
10. I don’t listen to music at all while I write. It interferes with the voices in my head.
11. I get oogy at even the mention of the possibility of some kind of vermin infestation. And in the case of an actual vermin infestation, the only way to calm me is to let me clean -- a lot -- and then take me away and feed me raw fish.
12. I miss my eight-hole Docs.
13. I will always remember where I was when I heard Wayne Gretzky had been traded to L.A. And I expect you to remember, too!
14. I require a great deal of moisture. I don’t know why. I drink no less than two liters of water every day, several cups of tea, a latte or two and generally some wine in the evening. A lot of liquid.
15. I can’t wear socks without shoes. It’s a total weird thing, I know. But my feet just feel incredibly wrong when I wear one without the other.
16. I have no desire to eat chicken feet. Almost anything else, but not that. I know where they’ve been.
I tag Kelli Stanley (who tagged me in the first place); J. Kingston Pierce; Ali Karim; Peter Rozovsky; Clea Simon; Sandra Ruttan; Karen Anderson; Brian Lindenmuth; John McFetridge; Lesa Holstine; Patti Abbott; Lee Lofland; Mary-Francis Makichen; Bill Cameron and I think I’d better stop there, before everyone I know stops talking to me! On that note, if I haven’t tagged you and you’d like to play, just give ’er. There really doesn’t seem to be any meme police that I’m aware of.