Chocolate Sorbet, Giffard’s and a Quiet Day with my Sweetie

Yesterday on Facebook I updated my status as follows:

“Linda is making chocolate sorbet when she should be writing.”

A lot of people liked the sound of chocolate sorbet and a few asked for the recipe, so it seemed like this would be a good place to store that recipe, while offering it up to the wider world: a world seemingly starved for chocolate sorbet.

I love this recipe. It’s easy, rich, sinfully chocolaty and -- get this -- totally vegan not to mention ideal for anyone with food restrictions: it’s made out of almost nothing but water and chocolate.

It is also the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert (which is why I made it yesterday after hanging onto the recipe for over a month) because it’s a dark and dreamy chocolate with more than a hint of spice.

The recipe is from Cooking for Two (Chronicle Books) by Jessica Strand. Before I passed the book along to the reviewer, I copied this one down with Valentine’s Day in mind. And now here we all are.

Meanwhile, if anyone can figure out what to do with Giffard’s Pamplemousse Rose, let me know. We have a bottle that we’ve been saving for Valentine’s Day and now that we’re here, we’re not quite sure what to do with it. (Though I have a feeling we’ll figure it out.)

May your heart be full of love… and your tummy full of spicy chocolate. Oh yum!

Happy Valentine’s Day.



Mexican Chocolate Sorbet with Bittersweet Nibs

from Cooking for Two (Chronicle Books) by Jessica Strand

¼ cup sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
¼ cup cacao nibs or mini bittersweet chocolate nibs

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine ½ cup water with the sugar until dissolved. Whisk in the cocoa, then add the cloves and cinnamon. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from the stove and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Strain the chocolate mixture through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl, then pour into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

When the mixture is nearly ready, add the chocolate nibs or mini-chips, and continue mixing until frozen. Serve immediately, or for a firmer consistency, place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours.

Comments

oh my.
Perfectly, wonderfully, scrumptiously sinful! And EASY!
Thank you, Linda - I can't wait to try this.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Kaye
I guess if I was thinking, I would have posted this *before* Valentine's Day! But WTH, right? Better lateish than never!

Popular Posts