The Best of the Season

When it comes to this blog, I’ve not been the most dedicated of correspondents this last while. For various reasons, 2010 just seemed to be that sort of year. For one thing, I have a lot of things on the go just now that I just can’t talk about. Things that, when they stop being on the go, I’ll be happy enough to prattle on about but, for the moment, I have to stay mum. That’s not always the easiest place for me to be!

Something else I can’t talk about: I lost a lot of the last quarter of 2010 to a new fiction project that I am not yet prepared to say anything about. (You’re starting to see why the posts have been scant of late, am I right? I’m beginning to feel like a spy.) I feel as though this book is one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done. To be totally fair, I pretty much always feel that. However, this time, it actually is. When it came time to work on January Magazine’s Best Books of 2010 feature, I had to pull myself away from my work in progress, the one I can’t even give you the working title of, for fear it will give too much away or jinx it or suck away my mojo or whatever the hell it is that keeps me saying very much about a work in progress. I’ll say this, though: I love being here with you now and I’m looking forward to a wonderful holiday with family and friends, but a part of me can’t wait to lock myself back into my studio once all the holiday madness calms down. I left the story right before the denouement and the whispers of the thing stay with me. And I can hardly wait to find out how it all turns out!

Back at January Magazine, that Best of the Year feature has been rolling in segments since last weekend. I think it may be our biggest Best of ever though by the time you read this, the last segment -- fiction -- will hopefully have run and we’ll know for sure.

Suffice it to say that between the history and the mystery, 2010 has been an odd sort of year. Part waiting and hoping and dreaming. Part waiting to exhale. Thank you for joining me on this part of the ride. And for your patience. And your gentle eyes. See you in this space next year.

Comments

Popular Posts