Adrift in the Savanna

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I walked in the savanna. Nothing had prepared this West Coast girl for the experience. A very different sort of forest, yet teeming with all of the majesty and environmental significance that we associate with that word: forest.



At the ranger station at Savannas Preserve State Park before I headed out, I asked the ranger if I needed to be on the lookout for alligators on my hike. “Oh naw,” he said. “But if you see any wild boar, clap your hands and they should run off.”

This is all fresh in my mind right now as the book I’m working on has insisted on being set in Florida. And Martin County is giving the work a texture I hadn’t anticipated. Sometimes it’s just best not to argue with these things. Am anxious to see where this road leads.

Comments

Popular Posts