Human Rice

In a world that sometimes feels too full of not so great ideas, this seems like an especially bad one:

The first GM food crop containing human genes is set to be approved for commercial production.
The laboratory-created rice produces some of the human proteins found in breast milk and saliva.

Even freakier? (If “even freakier” is a possibility here.) It’s already been approved by the Department of Agriculture.

The fact that the “news provoked horror among GM critics and consumer groups on both sides of the Atlantic,” will hopefully not surprise anyone. There’s so much here to be horrified about, I don’t even know where to begin. Well... I know where to begin, but I’m not in the mood for dusting off my soapbox. Again.

Actually, that’s not true. What is true: if I start on this topic right this second, I’ll rant and maybe I’ll scream and maybe I’ll cry. And I will do that. I’ll do all of that. And I have before. But today? Not today. Today I’ll just throw a cup of organic brown basmati in the rice maker and be happy when it doesn’t talk back.



Comments

Popular Posts