Things Not Lost in the Fire

I got a glimmer of disaster a few days ago when I noticed a jump in visitors to this blog. And when I checked my stats, I found that they were getting here having searched on some evacuation-related term.

The traffic was coming to my blog from all over the world. I feared the worst. I feared 28 Days Later (I always fear 28 Days Later situations. I’m a Canadian, after all. We have this thing about zombies in Canada. Don’t ask me to explain.)

Of course, just the barest research (like turning on CNN rather than just burying my head in words and stats) turned up the fact that the worst fire in California history was just then beginning to rage through the Southland.

The fire situation in California has not improved since yesterday. In fact, despite all sorts of human intervention, it seems as though it will get worse before it gets better. I’m worried about friends and family today and currently finding it difficult to think about anything else. Dr. Peter Huber at the Center for Reuniting Families blogged about it this morning (his posting includes links to several good fire-related sources and resources so I’m including it here).

Those that follow this blog will remember I was evacuated from my home because of forest fire a little more than a year ago. (Hence, you know, the traffic I’m suddenly getting from Google.) While that experience was scary and disconcerting, we were never in the kind of danger that many people in southern California are currently facing. We were evacuated. The brave firefighters got everything under control. We went home to a house that smelled a little BBQ-ish for a few days, but was otherwise not worse for wear. This now is so much more.

So I know what it feels like, on a certain level, even though our little fire was a barely a blip on the scale compared to what is raging now. Even so, I know that it’s frightening and that nothing will make it better beyond having it over with.

My thoughts are there today, hoping for better news tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts